The adventures of Pioneer Girl travelling with enthusiastic Camper Barn Owl Guy

Started as a blog about my trip from Pittsburgh to California in a Ford Pickup, hauling a 30' refurbed trailer/camper. Ah, California Dreaming, 'n all that. Found that adventures can be long distance or in your own neighborhood... I look for my own twist on local sites, don't take the known for granted...and always find something new. It's easy, just open your eyes..

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Fly with the Greatest of Ease..

December 30, 2011 - Our visit to Chaing Mai in northwestern Thailand was awesome..  a much anticipated zip lining experience across the rainforest canopy is a must-do.  We hired a skilled driver for the day , traffic is in a constant state of snarl in the populated areas, best to leave it to the pros.


The day started with a visit to Wat Phra That Doi Suthep,a temple high in the mountains (over 5,000 feet) overlooking Chaing Mai (Mount Thai Suthep) lunched at the butterfly and orchid farm, and then finally a visit to the rainforest.  Our driver hooked us with with an eco-friendly,  private zip-lining experience run by local Thai's (no tied up Gibbons for human amusement).


Outfitted with harnesses, helmets and gloves and two hang-lines, we flew from treetop to treetop with cables and pulleys on a cable high above the forest floor...super fun. Now, yours truly PG has a fear of heights which was quickly surpassed by flying through the air with the greatest of ease.  We flew connected with about 12 platforms, the most impressive about 500 meters (about 1/3 mile) emerging from the jungle and flying low across a beautiful lake.  On this particular leg, we were hooked up on our backs so that we could fly like "superman" across the lake...oh, and since its a long flight this position would enable us to make it all the way across...  Well not for your truly.  I almost made it as my guides waited patiently on the platform.  I got about 15 yards from them and then started going backwards back across the lake.  What the heck!  HELP!  I heard lots of laughter on the shore and I continued to drift until one of the guides hooked up and started his way across to rescue me.  At the same time, I went into rescue yourself mode and started to walk my hands across the cable to meet him.  I highly recommend a zip-lining trip.  Once you get past the initial...how do I land fear, it's an awesome flight.


Heading to the beaches of Krabi today, more adventures to come!  Thanks for following me on my trip.  PG is savoring it all...  Keep your eyes open...xoxo PG

No comments:

Post a Comment