The adventures of Pioneer Girl travelling with enthusiastic Camper Barn Owl Guy

Started as a blog about my trip from Pittsburgh to California in a Ford Pickup, hauling a 30' refurbed trailer/camper. Ah, California Dreaming, 'n all that. Found that adventures can be long distance or in your own neighborhood... I look for my own twist on local sites, don't take the known for granted...and always find something new. It's easy, just open your eyes..

Thursday, December 8, 2011

America's Heartland - Episode 714 - Owls Save Crops

Good morning, Pioneers! Last year about this time, I began this blog during a cross-country trip hauling a trailer. We began in Pittsburgh and since I felt like a pioneer, well...hence my blog name. The purpose of the trip was to set up camp in a beautiful vineyard to begin a study on the effect of barn owls as a natural rodenticide instead of poisons. The study was created by researcher, Mark Browning of the Pittsburgh Zoo and my BOBG (barn owl box guy!) Barn owls will feed on pocket gophers, mice...pocket gophers in particular can damage the roots of the grapes. The study is ongoing and is the subject of an episode of America's Heartland which is shown across the country's heartland farm lands on RFDTV and also PBS.

Check out the episode below, Mark Browning of the Pittsburgh Zoo.

America's Heartland - Episode 714 - Owls Save Crops

You done good, BOBG!!

Stay tuned as Pittsburgh Pioneer Girl will soon become Thailand Pioneer Girl, as my travels will take me around the world to Asia in a few short weeks..

Over n Out for now... XOXO, PG

No comments:

Post a Comment